DC Studios co-CEO Peter Safran has confirmed that other members of the Bat-Family will be in The Brave and the Bold Batman movie.
The news of the Bat-Family being featured in the new Batman film is not really new; this was announced back in DC slate Chapter One: Gods and Monsters. However, many of us focused on Bruce Wayne’s son, Damian Wayne, also known as Robin. DC co-CEO James Gunn said that it would be:
A very strange sort of father-son story about the two of them.
Many of us are excited to see this because, frankly, the movie version of Robin, who was last played by Chris O’Donnell (Batman Forever, Batman and Robin), wasn’t really that memorable. To be frank, it wasn’t really his fault. I blame it on marketing forcing Warner to sell Batman toys.
People may recall that Joseph Gordon-Levitt also played a variation of Robin named John Blake in The Dark Knight Rises. But we never saw him as the Boy Wonder. It was just implied that he’d take on the mantle of the Dark Knight since Bruce Wayne, aka Batman, is presumed dead by the end of the film.
Because of this, it has been a long time since we saw a proper representation of the Boy Wonder on the silver screen.
It’s already been shown that Robin can be done well; just look at HBO Max’s Titans.
Who are the members of the Bat-Family?
Now, will we see more of the Bat-Family? The Direct has listed the members whom we are eager to see on film.
- Dick Grayson is the original Robin, which he was for many years before moving on to be Nightwing. He is also a very well-known member of the Teen Titans.
- Barbara Gordon is another icon, also known as Batgirl. Daughter of Commissioner James Gordon. She changed her identity to Oracle when she lost her ability to walk after Joker shot her. But the new DC reboot in the comics made her return as Batgirl once again. Now we wonder, will Leslie Grace come back to DC for this?
- Jason Todd is another version of Robin, but we all know him now as the Red Hood. He is the version of Robin that died because of Joker. His death has been one of the most important moments in DC history in the comic Batman: Death in the Family. Todd was resurrected through Ra’s Al Ghul’s Lazarus pit and returned as Red Hood.
- Cassandra Cain is the daughter of Lady Shiva and David Cain. She became Barbara Gordon’s ward. She took the name Batgirl and also became Batman’s adoptive daughter.
- Tim Drake is the one that stands out as the Robin who trained himself to be one. Batman didn’t train any Robin for years because of the fear of another Robin dying under his wing. Drake was the one who made sure that his version of Robin was ready and responsible.
- Selina Kyle, also known as Catwoman, might turn up, too, especially how important she is to Batman. Although we are not sure if the movie will tackle Batman’s own love life, in the comics, Batman is married to Catwoman.
- Kate Kane is another exciting addition. She is known as Batwoman, but she only took the name because she was inspired to save people just like Batman. Currently, she turns out to be a cousin of Bruce Wayne.
- It would be interesting to see Luke Fox since, in the comics, he used the name Batwing. He’s more like Ironman since he uses technology to have special abilities.
- Of course, we can’t forget about Alfred Pennyworth. He’s always been family. It’s hard to see Batman without Alfred. Whenever Bruce is lost, Alfred has always been his compass.
The Bat-Family To Be Introduced in The Brave and the Bold
The Direct added more possible characters that might show up if ever The Brave and The Bold does cover other Bat-Family members like Helena Wayne, who is Bruce and Selina’s daughter, Duke Thomas, who is the only one with metahuman powers, and Stephanie Brown who is another Robin and girlfriend of Tim Drake.
While they are all interesting, if they’ll dive into more extended Bat-Family members, why not Bat-mite? The always bothersome imp that is just as powerful as Mister Mxyzptlk. And hey, James Gunn seems to be a fan of the character.
I doubt that they’ll be introducing all of these characters into one film. But it is true that we’ve been seeing a lot of Batman for the past few years, more so than any other DC character. So, it would be nice to see the other members of the Bat-Family.
Which Bat-Family member do you want to see in The Brave and The Bold or in the new DC Universe? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.
What do you make of this story? Let us know in the comments below or on our Facebook, Twitter or Instagram pages! And if you enjoy listening to film podcasts, why not check out our podcast, The Small Screen Podcast, wherever you get your podcasts!