The Darkest Minds Gets Its First Trailer And It Looks A Bit Like The Hunger Games Meets X-Men

The very first trailer for 20th Century Fox’s The Darkest Minds has just dropped, and there are unmistakable echoes of The Hunger Games and X-Men franchises. Check out the trailer here.

Imagine a world where 98% of the United States’ children are wiped out by a deadly disease and the remaining 2% suddenly develop incredible X-Men-like powers. It’s safe to safe that the adults might be a bit worried. Just think how difficult it would be to send your kids to their rooms when they could burn you to a crisp or throw you out the window in just the blink of an eye. That’s the premise of 20th Century Fox’s upcoming dystopian young adult movie, The Darkest Minds.

The young adult genre has died out somewhat in recent years ever since The Hunger Games franchise came to an end. It seems like we were getting one YA movie after another, but then they started performing poorly at the box office, and it all seemed to die with the terrible Divergent franchise, which didn’t even get to end properly. But, it looks like there may be hope left in this genre in the form of 20th Century Fox’s The Darkest Minds.

One thing I will point out is that all these movies and books have similar titles: The Hunger Games, The Maze Runner, The Fault In Our Stars, The 5th Wave, and now The Darkest Minds… There must be some sort of YA book/movie title generator somewhere.

Anyway, back to The Darkest Minds. The film will follow a 16-year-old girl who manages to escape one of the camps that all the children are put into (yep, this film will feature children-only concentration camps…) with a group of other gifted youngsters. They then are on the run from the government who wants to bring them back to be tested on.

The film is based on Alexandra Bracken’s book of the same name and stars The Hunger Games’ Amandla Stenberg, Mandy Moore, Harris Dickinson, Wallace Langham, Golden Brooks, Mark O’Brien, Patrick Gibson, and Gwendoline Christie.

The Darkest Minds will be coming to UK cinemas on August, 10th.

There are no comments

Add yours

Have your say...