As the dust settles from the epic first season of The Wheel Of Time, fans are eagerly turning their gaze towards the horizon, anticipating the arrival of the second season of this high fantasy series. The first season left us on the edge of our seats, with a finale that promised more action, more intrigue, and more magic. So, what can we expect from The Wheel Of Time Season 2? Let’s delve into the details, from the release date to the cast and plot, and see what the future holds for this Amazon Prime Video sensation.
The first season of The Wheel Of Time made a strong impression upon its release, quickly becoming one of the most-watched series on Prime Video. With its renewal for a second season announced before the first had even aired, it’s clear that Amazon has high hopes for this adaptation of Robert Jordan’s beloved novels. Now, as we inch closer to the release date, the anticipation is palpable. So, without further ado, let’s dive into what we know about The Wheel Of Time Season 2.
The Wheel Of Time Season 2 Release Date
The first piece of good news for fans is that we have a confirmed release date. The Wheel Of Time Season 2 will premiere on Prime Video on Friday, 1st September 2023. This release date means it won’t be competing with other major fantasy series like The Witcher Season 3, which is due to hit Netflix this summer. So, mark your calendars and prepare for a September filled with high-fantasy drama.
The Wheel Of Time Season 2 Cast
The second season will see most of the original main cast returning for the next part of their adventure, with one major shake-up. Rosamund Pike will reprise her role as Moiraine Damodred, alongside Daniel Henney as Lan Mandragoran, Josha Stradowski as Rand al’Thor, Marcus Rutherford as Perrin Aybara, and Zoë Robins as Nynaeve al’Meara.
However, the character of Mat Cauthon, initially portrayed by Barney Harris, will be played by Dónal Finn in the second season. The reasons for the recast have not been revealed, but fans of The Witcher and How to Build A Girl might recognise Finn from his roles in these productions.
In addition to the returning cast, several new faces will be joining the series. Maja Simonsen, Ragga Ragnars, Jay Duffy, and Rima Te Wiata have all been confirmed for new roles in the second season. Ceara Coveney will join as Elayne Trakand, and Meera Syal’s role, although not yet disclosed, is said to be one of the most important characters in the second season.
The Wheel Of Time Season 2 Plot
WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD FOR THE WHEEL OF TIME SEASON 1
The first season ended with Rand and Moiraine sneaking off in search of The Eye of The World, where they had a treacherous encounter with the Dark One. Meanwhile, the rest of the group stood with the forces of Fal Dara in a desperate battle against the Dark One’s forces.
In the second season, we can expect to see the fallout from this climactic decision, as well as explore what Mat was up to, plus the arrival of the Seanchan army from across the sea. The second season’s plot will be derived from books two and three (The Great Hunt and The Dragon Reborn) of Robert Jordan’s epic saga. Although the storyline won’t follow the books exactly, they’ll be weaved together to develop each character’s story forward.
The Wheel Of Time Season 2 Theories and Predictions
Here are some theories and predictions for The Wheel Of Time Season 2:
- Mat’s Journey: With Mat Cauthon being recast and his character not joining Rand and Moiraine in their journey to the Eye of the World, it’s likely that we’ll see a significant subplot involving Mat. In the books, Mat is affected by a cursed dagger he took from Shadar Logoth, which could be a central part of his storyline in the second season.
- The Seanchan Invasion: The second book of the series, ‘The Great Hunt’, introduces the Seanchan, a powerful empire from across the sea. The Seanchan are known for their practice of enslaving women who can channel the One Power, which could set up a significant conflict for our main characters.
- Elayne Trakand’s Introduction: The character of Elayne Trakand, who is a significant character in the books, is set to be introduced in the second season. Elayne is the Daughter-Heir of Andor and also a novice in the White Tower. Her introduction could bring political intrigue into the series.
- More of the White Tower: With Nynaeve and Egwene headed to the White Tower to train as Aes Sedai, we can expect to see more of the politics and inner workings of this powerful organisation. This could also lead to more exploration of the different Ajahs (subgroups within the Aes Sedai).
- Rand’s Struggle with His Identity: Now that Rand knows he is the Dragon Reborn, he will likely struggle with this identity. In the books, Rand initially resists the idea that he is the prophesied saviour, which could be a significant part of his character development in the second season.
- The Introduction of the Black Ajah: In the books, it’s revealed that there is a secret group within the Aes Sedai known as the Black Ajah, who serve the Dark One. The introduction of this group could add another layer of intrigue and danger to the series.
- Perrin’s Wolf Brotherhood: Perrin’s connection with wolves was hinted at in the first season, but we can expect this to be explored more in the second season. In the books, Perrin becomes a Wolfbrother, someone who can communicate with wolves and has enhanced senses.
Remember, these are just theories and predictions, and the actual plot of The Wheel Of Time Season 2 may differ. Regardless, it’s sure to be an exciting season!
The Wheel Of Time Season 2 Trailer
Prime Video released the first official trailer for The Wheel Of Time Season 2 six days ago. You can watch it above! It’s pretty darn good! Fans were also treated to a sneak peek of what’s to come last year. The teaser shows our main cast will find themselves in dire straits very soon. Clearly, bigger challenges in the fight against the Dark One lie ahead.
The Wheel Of Time Future Seasons
The story of The Wheel Of Time won’t end with the second season. During the show’s panel presentation at San Diego Comic-Con, it was announced that Amazon has renewed the series for a third season already. Showrunner Rafe Judkins expressed his excitement about bringing his favourite book in the series, The Shadow Rising, to television.
Final thoughts on The Wheel Of Time Season 2 on Prime Video
With a confirmed release date, a returning cast with some exciting new additions, and a plot that promises to delve deeper into the rich world of Robert Jordan’s novels, The Wheel Of Time Season 2 is shaping up to be an unmissable event for fantasy fans. Whether you’re a long-time fan of the books or a newcomer drawn in by the first season’s compelling storytelling and rich world-building, there’s plenty to look forward to in the second season. So, buckle up, because the wheel keeps turning, and the next part of this epic journey is just around the corner.
What do you make of this news? Are you looking forward to watching The Wheel Of Time Season 2 on Prime Video? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.
And if you’re looking for a VPN that’ll allow you to watch everything that’s available to stream on each platform, no matter where you are in the world, then PureVPN is the one for you! If you click the link, then you’ll be able to get 81% off PureVPN plus three months free!
What do you make of this story? Let us know in the comments below or on our Facebook, Twitter or Instagram pages! And if you enjoy listening to film podcasts, why not check out our podcast, The Small Screen Podcast, wherever you get your podcasts!